Skip to main content

There Ain't No Granola Bars In Baseball!

Well ... we've been home for two days and it's a great feeling. You know how you feel when you get away from home for a week and then return? Ahhhh. The best.

Tonight ... after work, we changed into our Rays shirts, headed to the stadium and watched The Rays beat up on the Red Sox.

It was a beautiful thing.

There was a slight change in our routine, however. Ordinarily, we would get to the stadium, buy a couple of dogs and fill them with mustard, get a couple of beers ... maybe a bag of peanuts ... maybe a couple of more beers ... and eat our way through nine innings.

I am now officially a porker.

After getting off the boat and not being able to see my feet ... I knew it was serious diet time. Plus ... I felt like crap. Debbie thinks she is a porker too but I believe she's only gained a pound ... I, on the other hand, became pregnant with twins.

Don Zimmer (pictured) has nothin' on me (except 20 years or so).

Debbie made sure we didn't fall into the food trap tonight ... so she packed granola bars and bananas. Remember that great line from A League of Their Own: " There ain't no crying in baseball!" Well trust me ... "There ain't no granola bars in baseball, either."

We compromised after we got there ... grilled chicken and popcorn sans beer.

I'm full as a tick!


Sam said…
Mr. Momberg!
I too have just started a blog... albeit bare as of now. But I was wondering if you would mind if I left the link in a couple comments on your page? I get a better grade in my web publishing class if I have more comments.
Thank you!
Samantha Ford
Joel Momberg said…
Sure Sam .... Give me your link!
Sam said…
my blog is
my actual website is

Thank you so much!

Popular posts from this blog

SAMMY: The Novel (An Overview)

I finished writing Sammy:The Novel. 

So ... I called my good buddy and excellent writer, Dave Scheiber, to help me write an overview to pique the interest of publishers. The stuff that Dave wrote made me want to read my own book! We combined our efforts and here's what we came up with:

SAMMY (An Overview)

Sammy Levine, 86-year-old resident of Star of David nursing home, was not happy with his daily existence and dreamed of taking one last trip with his wife Esther (presently residing in an urn on the third shelf in his room). Sammy was careful about not exposing his plan to anyone, especially his son, Barry, who dutifully visited regularly and tried to make sure that he lived out his remaining days comfortably.

Through a carefully choreographed plan, Sammy managed to access personal information on three recently deceased residents from the nursing home’s computers. Then he applied for and obtained three new credit cards. Armed now with available cash and credit, he loaded up Esth…

Close Call

I was just putting the finishing touches on my new novel, Sammy, which will be available to order in November (shameless self promotion!) ... when I started thinking about some of the characters in my past life. One character I've actually written about in the past just popped into my head. It's a repeat story but I hope you enjoy it ... again.

When I was a Freshman at LSU, our dorm was set up like a suite with two adjoining double rooms and a common kitchen and living room. "Suite" really makes it sound much fancier than it was. Actually, living room makes it sound much fancier than it was. The walls were cinder block and the living room was about 100 square feet. I don't think four of us could even stand up in there at one time.

One of the four guys in our suite was the place kicker for the LSU Tigers. His name was Phil and he was from Bogalusa, Louisiana. He had the bed next to mine. Phil was about 6'8" and weighed well over 300 pounds. He was a big …

Princess Grace's Diary

We surprised our little princess, Grace on Friday with a last minute visit to Savannah. She and her BFF Stella had a joint princess birthday party.

It was of course no surprise to Deb and me that the trip had a few surprises for us, too.

It started out with a light show at the airport (we chose to fly rather than drive the 12 hours back and forth for one day). Lightning strikes were coming fast ... so the tarmac was closed until it settled down. We had to get to Atlanta in time to catch what had become the LAST flight of the night to Savannah at 11:20 PM.

We made it ... barely ... and fell asleep at 2 AM.

Up at 8 and out the door via Uber to The Landings (a mere 45 minute drive) and just in time to see this adorable duo.

Big brother Cole was  one of the "hosts".

Pony rides were there for the guests.

Matching Princess cakes (of course).

Lots of fun.

At about 2, Deb and I headed back to the airport with Nikki driving and made it in PLENTY of time to find out that there were n…