Wednesday, March 24, 2010
Kindergarten Is Not For Sissies
The more undisciplined the kids are ... the better the training.
I think back on my teaching days often, now that I manage adult children. Today, for example, I had to discipline one unruly "child", lectured another on appropriate behavior, reminded another how to play well with others ... and one was so bad that I was tempted to bring in her parents.
We never really grow up, do we? We act up ... we suck up ... we still throw up ... but grow up? Naw. We'll never grow up ... you know ... Tinker Bell sure had LOTS of patience with Peter Pan.
What a day! I wanted to rush out to the bookstore to see if there were any copies of "All I really Need to Know I Learned In Kindergarten" ... the book by Robert Fulghum. It was brilliant ... and SO true.
Here are his guiding principles:
1. Share everything.
2. Play fair.
3. Don't hit people.
4. Put things back where you found them.
5. Clean up your own mess.
6. Don't take things that aren't yours.
7. Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
8. Wash your hands before you eat.
10. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
11. Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
12. Take a nap every afternoon.
13. When you go out in the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands and stick together.
14. Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: the roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.
15. Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup - they all die. So do we.
Everything you need to know is in there somewhere. The Golden Rule and love and basic sanitation.
I try not to watch the news any more. Oh... I'll listen to a podcast now and then. Certainly, Debbie will keep me informed about all t...
Yogi Berra has nothin' on Sam. Today, Debbie and I went to Menorah Manor for his birthday celebration. When we arrived ... all the bir...
In March, I had surgery to remove my gall bladder and half my liver (on which a sizable melanoma resided). I didn't have a history of me...