Skip to main content

What's a Hoya?

What a game!!!

Last night in DC, the South Florida Bulls made history ... again. This time beating a ranked Big East team on the road. Not just any team ... but, The Georgetown Hoyas. My wife, a recent basketball fan since I joined the staff at USF, asked the question before we entered the arena ... "What's a Hoya?" (Actually ... in Debbie-speak it was "So what's a Hoooyahhh?")

It's a good question ... one that the Hoyas might be asking themselves today after we beat them 72 - 64.

I looked it up. Interestingly, "hoya" is Latin for "what" ... that's right ... it comes from a chant "Hoya Saxa" which literally means "What Rocks". So apparently the question remains unanswered in Georgetown.

To my lovely wife: "Sorry honey, I haven't found a hoooyah yet."

By the way, Stan Heath, USF coach (right) and John Thompson III, Georgetown (left) coach have something else in common ... they were separated at birth. Check out these pictures of them.

Yes friends ... USF has caught the fever ... so did I. Mine was unfortunately a real fever that I carried home from the game and have been filling up on drugs ever since. Last night ... the fever and the aches were numbed with excitement and a few Dewar's ... well maybe more than a few. Based on how I feel tonight, I must have angered my fever by ignoring it ... because it's certainly getting even.

Oh well ... it's a small price to pay for having a great night, seeing my beautiful daughter Alissa (who works in DC) with her friends and sharing great memories with all of you.


Popular posts from this blog

SAMMY: The Novel (An Overview)

I finished writing Sammy:The Novel. 

So ... I called my good buddy and excellent writer, Dave Scheiber, to help me write an overview to pique the interest of publishers. The stuff that Dave wrote made me want to read my own book! We combined our efforts and here's what we came up with:

SAMMY (An Overview)

Sammy Levine, 86-year-old resident of Star of David nursing home, was not happy with his daily existence and dreamed of taking one last trip with his wife Esther (presently residing in an urn on the third shelf in his room). Sammy was careful about not exposing his plan to anyone, especially his son, Barry, who dutifully visited regularly and tried to make sure that he lived out his remaining days comfortably.

Through a carefully choreographed plan, Sammy managed to access personal information on three recently deceased residents from the nursing home’s computers. Then he applied for and obtained three new credit cards. Armed now with available cash and credit, he loaded up Esth…

Close Call

I was just putting the finishing touches on my new novel, Sammy, which will be available to order in November (shameless self promotion!) ... when I started thinking about some of the characters in my past life. One character I've actually written about in the past just popped into my head. It's a repeat story but I hope you enjoy it ... again.

When I was a Freshman at LSU, our dorm was set up like a suite with two adjoining double rooms and a common kitchen and living room. "Suite" really makes it sound much fancier than it was. Actually, living room makes it sound much fancier than it was. The walls were cinder block and the living room was about 100 square feet. I don't think four of us could even stand up in there at one time.

One of the four guys in our suite was the place kicker for the LSU Tigers. His name was Phil and he was from Bogalusa, Louisiana. He had the bed next to mine. Phil was about 6'8" and weighed well over 300 pounds. He was a big …

Princess Grace's Diary

We surprised our little princess, Grace on Friday with a last minute visit to Savannah. She and her BFF Stella had a joint princess birthday party.

It was of course no surprise to Deb and me that the trip had a few surprises for us, too.

It started out with a light show at the airport (we chose to fly rather than drive the 12 hours back and forth for one day). Lightning strikes were coming fast ... so the tarmac was closed until it settled down. We had to get to Atlanta in time to catch what had become the LAST flight of the night to Savannah at 11:20 PM.

We made it ... barely ... and fell asleep at 2 AM.

Up at 8 and out the door via Uber to The Landings (a mere 45 minute drive) and just in time to see this adorable duo.

Big brother Cole was  one of the "hosts".

Pony rides were there for the guests.

Matching Princess cakes (of course).

Lots of fun.

At about 2, Deb and I headed back to the airport with Nikki driving and made it in PLENTY of time to find out that there were n…