Skip to main content

Brain Boy Day 4

Day 4 after surgery and I thought I'd attempt a post. If I start to drift zzzzzzz zzzzzzzz zzzzzz zzzzzzz zzzzzzz just hit the computer and I'll wake up. 

So here's the timeline (it's a work habit, huh?):

5:15 AM Arrive at TGH for admissions and surgical pre-op waiting area. Five people asked me my name, DOB and what I was having done. (didn't they know?)

7:03 AM Wheeled into actual pre-op. Lot of activity here ... I remember most of it ... TGH is a teaching hospital so there were about 8 nurses helping me, a nurse anesthetist who put my first IV line in (funny guy ... enjoyed his job. Nice to see), a surgical nurse that came by to say hello ... she remembered me from my days at All Children's ... then it got busy. Two neurosurgical techs put monitoring probes on my feet and my hands, four neurosurgical residents (I swear) took patient histories, somebody (I think another resident drew an arrow on my head. HE knew what was happening), I know there were more ... but the actual anesthesiologist came in last to tell me all about the good drugs I was getting. That's what I wanted to hear. EVERY ONE of those people I mentioned asked me my name and DOB and asked what I was having done. (They didn't want to cut the wrong head off)   

7:30 AM Into surgery. I just remember the ride.

3:00PM Surgery lasted for almost 8 hours and when it ended I was wheeled into Recovery. Here's where it gets very fuzzy for me. Debbie came in while they were waking me up and sister Keli was there. Apparently, I was not happy to find out that my catheter was not removed before I woke up and I wanted Keli to know about it and to check it out (also to check out its contents for some ungodly reason). Debbie kept telling the nurses that I really don't have a "potty" mouth. They told her that they have heard it all ... much worse than me to which I replied ... " I do have a f***ing potty mouth ... but I love you guys cause you gave me great f***ing drugs." 

I have no other earthly idea what else I said on the ride to the Neuro ICU ... except that I did talk to the cool dude who transported me and asked him where he was playing. 


... sorry where was I? Oh yeah Neuro Intensive Care Unit.  Still feeling the glow of the anesthesia drugs I talked to Dr. van Loveren who is the greatest doctor in the world. I told him that when he came in to talk to me and ask how I was doing.  He told me this later:  The surgery was a little tougher than he thought so they had to do more ... longer ... and brought in another neurosurgeon to help out. I had the BEST (... he got the WHOLE tumor by the way). He did tell me that "I would call him an a**hole for the next few weeks because I'll have a killer headache and feel like crap." I told him "You were always an a**hole (his three residents loved hearing that.) But you're my favorite a**hole ... love ya man." Feeling NO Pain!

I am doing well ... left the hospital on day three ... now at home and trying to heal. Never got the "haircut" ... Harry cut right through my hairline ... now closed by a bunch of staples. Double vision causes me to wear a patch and complete numbness across the right side of my face, my eye and nose is a little disconcerting (kinda like wearing the skin coat in Silence of the Lambs). Most will disappear hopefully over the coming weeks but will have to wait and see what nerve irritation is more permanent. The good news is ... I'm alive, in no real pain,  have no paralysis and I can hopefully lose some weight. since the taste nerves on the right side are numb too. 

But ... Tomorrow I'll give the reasons why feeling numb is pretty cool. 


Popular posts from this blog

SAMMY: The Novel (An Overview)

I finished writing Sammy:The Novel. 

So ... I called my good buddy and excellent writer, Dave Scheiber, to help me write an overview to pique the interest of publishers. The stuff that Dave wrote made me want to read my own book! We combined our efforts and here's what we came up with:

SAMMY (An Overview)

Sammy Levine, 86-year-old resident of Star of David nursing home, was not happy with his daily existence and dreamed of taking one last trip with his wife Esther (presently residing in an urn on the third shelf in his room). Sammy was careful about not exposing his plan to anyone, especially his son, Barry, who dutifully visited regularly and tried to make sure that he lived out his remaining days comfortably.

Through a carefully choreographed plan, Sammy managed to access personal information on three recently deceased residents from the nursing home’s computers. Then he applied for and obtained three new credit cards. Armed now with available cash and credit, he loaded up Esth…

Close Call

I was just putting the finishing touches on my new novel, Sammy, which will be available to order in November (shameless self promotion!) ... when I started thinking about some of the characters in my past life. One character I've actually written about in the past just popped into my head. It's a repeat story but I hope you enjoy it ... again.

When I was a Freshman at LSU, our dorm was set up like a suite with two adjoining double rooms and a common kitchen and living room. "Suite" really makes it sound much fancier than it was. Actually, living room makes it sound much fancier than it was. The walls were cinder block and the living room was about 100 square feet. I don't think four of us could even stand up in there at one time.

One of the four guys in our suite was the place kicker for the LSU Tigers. His name was Phil and he was from Bogalusa, Louisiana. He had the bed next to mine. Phil was about 6'8" and weighed well over 300 pounds. He was a big …

Princess Grace's Diary

We surprised our little princess, Grace on Friday with a last minute visit to Savannah. She and her BFF Stella had a joint princess birthday party.

It was of course no surprise to Deb and me that the trip had a few surprises for us, too.

It started out with a light show at the airport (we chose to fly rather than drive the 12 hours back and forth for one day). Lightning strikes were coming fast ... so the tarmac was closed until it settled down. We had to get to Atlanta in time to catch what had become the LAST flight of the night to Savannah at 11:20 PM.

We made it ... barely ... and fell asleep at 2 AM.

Up at 8 and out the door via Uber to The Landings (a mere 45 minute drive) and just in time to see this adorable duo.

Big brother Cole was  one of the "hosts".

Pony rides were there for the guests.

Matching Princess cakes (of course).

Lots of fun.

At about 2, Deb and I headed back to the airport with Nikki driving and made it in PLENTY of time to find out that there were n…