Skip to main content

Basketball, Little People and Country Music

Last night was another historic occasion.

USF beat Temple in the second round of the NCAA Basketball Tournament and we are here in Nashville watching it live. We have never gotten past the first round of the "big dance" ... now we are in the third.

For those of you that don't follow college basketball, my apologies for again writing about our tournament wins. For those that do ... You're welcome.

Wasn't pretty in the first half of play. Temple was all over our guys and we had about an 11% scoring average. The second half was a different story ... 90% scoring average, three pointers from everywhere and a BIG WIN.

We play next on Sunday ... Ohio University.

Note: There was one little thing that I thought I'd mention about the game in case any officials are reading this. Actually TWO little things.

No ... not the officiating (although it pretty much sucked), not the fan experience (the venue was superb) ...

It was the cleaning crew. That's right ... the cleaning crew. They were about 6 years old, three feet tall and couldn't get any muscle into the sweeper handle. It also took a LONG time to get off the court after time outs. Sure ... It's a little thing ... TWO VERY little things.

Don't get me wrong ... I love kids, Just let them stay in their natural habitats at home, screaming at their siblings and disrupting their parents' lives.  


Country Music fans: Go to the Country Music Hall of Fame.

What a great place. You can see giant banjos, triple neck guitars, Jerry Lee Lewis's tuxedoes, Carl Perkins's blue suede shoes, Patsy Cline's fur, Dolly Parton's original song lyric scribbles, the cornfield from Hee Haw ...

... even a few Caddies with bull horns, saddle interiors and inlays of silver dollars and revolvers ... only in MUSIC CITY!


Popular posts from this blog

SAMMY: The Novel (An Overview)

I finished writing Sammy:The Novel. 

So ... I called my good buddy and excellent writer, Dave Scheiber, to help me write an overview to pique the interest of publishers. The stuff that Dave wrote made me want to read my own book! We combined our efforts and here's what we came up with:

SAMMY (An Overview)

Sammy Levine, 86-year-old resident of Star of David nursing home, was not happy with his daily existence and dreamed of taking one last trip with his wife Esther (presently residing in an urn on the third shelf in his room). Sammy was careful about not exposing his plan to anyone, especially his son, Barry, who dutifully visited regularly and tried to make sure that he lived out his remaining days comfortably.

Through a carefully choreographed plan, Sammy managed to access personal information on three recently deceased residents from the nursing home’s computers. Then he applied for and obtained three new credit cards. Armed now with available cash and credit, he loaded up Esth…

Close Call

I was just putting the finishing touches on my new novel, Sammy, which will be available to order in November (shameless self promotion!) ... when I started thinking about some of the characters in my past life. One character I've actually written about in the past just popped into my head. It's a repeat story but I hope you enjoy it ... again.

When I was a Freshman at LSU, our dorm was set up like a suite with two adjoining double rooms and a common kitchen and living room. "Suite" really makes it sound much fancier than it was. Actually, living room makes it sound much fancier than it was. The walls were cinder block and the living room was about 100 square feet. I don't think four of us could even stand up in there at one time.

One of the four guys in our suite was the place kicker for the LSU Tigers. His name was Phil and he was from Bogalusa, Louisiana. He had the bed next to mine. Phil was about 6'8" and weighed well over 300 pounds. He was a big …

Princess Grace's Diary

We surprised our little princess, Grace on Friday with a last minute visit to Savannah. She and her BFF Stella had a joint princess birthday party.

It was of course no surprise to Deb and me that the trip had a few surprises for us, too.

It started out with a light show at the airport (we chose to fly rather than drive the 12 hours back and forth for one day). Lightning strikes were coming fast ... so the tarmac was closed until it settled down. We had to get to Atlanta in time to catch what had become the LAST flight of the night to Savannah at 11:20 PM.

We made it ... barely ... and fell asleep at 2 AM.

Up at 8 and out the door via Uber to The Landings (a mere 45 minute drive) and just in time to see this adorable duo.

Big brother Cole was  one of the "hosts".

Pony rides were there for the guests.

Matching Princess cakes (of course).

Lots of fun.

At about 2, Deb and I headed back to the airport with Nikki driving and made it in PLENTY of time to find out that there were n…