Skip to main content

Bionic Sam

Sam had surgery on Thursday.

He had a small tumor on his bladder that was discovered last week. It was not really causing him any discomfort. For most normal people, this tumor would be painful and irritating. Sam feels no pain. He really doesn't. The man has had both triple and quadruple bypass surgery and never felt a thing.

His recovery a few years ago from a life threatening lung infection surprised the entire medical staff of the hospital. His breathing was so labored for so long that the nurses who were caring for him said it was like he was running consecutive marathons every day for a week.

On the day that we thought would be his last, Sam looked at me and said through his breathing mask, "Joel, can you turn up the volume on the TV ... I'm missing the Bucs game."

Days later, he had no memory of the entire hospital stay.

So on Wednesday night before the surgery, I talked to him on the phone.

Me ... "Dad are you doing okay?"

Sam ... "Listen ... you know this procedure I have tomorrow?"

Me ... "Yes."

Sam ... "Should I worry?"

Me ... "Are you nervous?"

Sam ... "No. I just didn't know if I should worry right now."

Me ... "No."

He went right to sleep.

The next day he happily flirted with the nurses and asked lots of questions (all unrelated to surgery like ... When can I eat? What time is it? Where's the TV?) He didn't understand what all the fuss was about. He thought his procedure was supposed to be just like getting your teeth cleaned.

Soon, the orderly came to get him. We followed behind as he was wheeled down the corridor.

The orderly asked him his name ... Sam told him and asked him as well.

Orderly ... "I'm Linnis."

Sam ... "Lemon?"

Orderly ... "No, Linnis."

Sam ... "Leon?"

Orderly ... "No, LINNIS."

Sam ... "Leonard?"

Orderly ... "NO, LINNIS." He was practically screaming in Sam's ear. "L-I-N-N-I-S."

Sam ... "Oh ... That's a crazy name. How'd you get that name?"

Orderly ... (Smiling) "My mom must have known I'd be special."

Sam ... "There's a special?"

Linnis wheeled him in ... and an hour later ... he was in recovery. As soon as he woke up he ordered a chicken salad sandwich, chips, a coke and dessert. Unaccustomed to patients ordering full meals as soon as they were awake, the nurses scrambled to find him some food.    

Obviously, he did fine. The tumor was removed and no longer a threat. Sam's back at Menorah Manor safe and sound. Well ... fairly safe ... We did get a call yesterday that he fell in the shower. When a 90 year old falls in the shower, it can be very serious.

The nurse said, "He's fine ... some bruises ... but ... interestingly ... he has no pain at all."


Glad things all went well. Happy Easter!
Joel Momberg said…
Thanks Gillian. Same to you.

Popular posts from this blog

SAMMY: The Novel (An Overview)

I finished writing Sammy:The Novel. 

So ... I called my good buddy and excellent writer, Dave Scheiber, to help me write an overview to pique the interest of publishers. The stuff that Dave wrote made me want to read my own book! We combined our efforts and here's what we came up with:

SAMMY (An Overview)

Sammy Levine, 86-year-old resident of Star of David nursing home, was not happy with his daily existence and dreamed of taking one last trip with his wife Esther (presently residing in an urn on the third shelf in his room). Sammy was careful about not exposing his plan to anyone, especially his son, Barry, who dutifully visited regularly and tried to make sure that he lived out his remaining days comfortably.

Through a carefully choreographed plan, Sammy managed to access personal information on three recently deceased residents from the nursing home’s computers. Then he applied for and obtained three new credit cards. Armed now with available cash and credit, he loaded up Esth…

Close Call

I was just putting the finishing touches on my new novel, Sammy, which will be available to order in November (shameless self promotion!) ... when I started thinking about some of the characters in my past life. One character I've actually written about in the past just popped into my head. It's a repeat story but I hope you enjoy it ... again.

When I was a Freshman at LSU, our dorm was set up like a suite with two adjoining double rooms and a common kitchen and living room. "Suite" really makes it sound much fancier than it was. Actually, living room makes it sound much fancier than it was. The walls were cinder block and the living room was about 100 square feet. I don't think four of us could even stand up in there at one time.

One of the four guys in our suite was the place kicker for the LSU Tigers. His name was Phil and he was from Bogalusa, Louisiana. He had the bed next to mine. Phil was about 6'8" and weighed well over 300 pounds. He was a big …

Princess Grace's Diary

We surprised our little princess, Grace on Friday with a last minute visit to Savannah. She and her BFF Stella had a joint princess birthday party.

It was of course no surprise to Deb and me that the trip had a few surprises for us, too.

It started out with a light show at the airport (we chose to fly rather than drive the 12 hours back and forth for one day). Lightning strikes were coming fast ... so the tarmac was closed until it settled down. We had to get to Atlanta in time to catch what had become the LAST flight of the night to Savannah at 11:20 PM.

We made it ... barely ... and fell asleep at 2 AM.

Up at 8 and out the door via Uber to The Landings (a mere 45 minute drive) and just in time to see this adorable duo.

Big brother Cole was  one of the "hosts".

Pony rides were there for the guests.

Matching Princess cakes (of course).

Lots of fun.

At about 2, Deb and I headed back to the airport with Nikki driving and made it in PLENTY of time to find out that there were n…