Skip to main content

Amazing Grace

Grace Quinlan Cohen was born early Thursday morning.

Right now, her temporary home is in an isolette in the NICU at Memorial Hospital in Savannah. It's only temporary because she is all clear. Breathing is normal and all her vitals are good. She is just kicking back here for the weekend.

She was not quite ready to make an appearance at first. Her mom was 2 cm dilated when she went to the hospital and started contractions. Grace was almost 9 pounds ... Nikki is only 5 feet tall and not even 100 pounds.

We drove to Savannah as soon as we got the call.

The trip is one that typically takes about 6 hours when the traffic is light and the weather is good. Well ... no such luck.
The traffic was stalled outside of Tampa. One car had crashed and stalled traffic for miles.

Then the rains came.

But we got to the hospital in plenty of time to see Nikki before she was given the epidural which speeded up her delivery at 1 in the morning.

Steven had us follow him to the house where we saw baby brother Cole and gave him a special shirt we bought for him.

Cole took us on the tour of the new nursery and proceeded to steal (borrow) most of Grace's toys. He is just starting to talk now and his favorite word is PaPa (well ... maybe it's my favorite word).

So ... baby arrived in the middle of the night, turned out she lost a pound ... and mom and dad finally got some rest as they took a few pictures with Amazing Grace right after delivery.

I know I'm a little prejudice here but she is the most beautiful baby I have ever seen.

There ... I had to say it!


Popular posts from this blog

SAMMY: The Novel (An Overview)

I finished writing Sammy:The Novel. 

So ... I called my good buddy and excellent writer, Dave Scheiber, to help me write an overview to pique the interest of publishers. The stuff that Dave wrote made me want to read my own book! We combined our efforts and here's what we came up with:

SAMMY (An Overview)

Sammy Levine, 86-year-old resident of Star of David nursing home, was not happy with his daily existence and dreamed of taking one last trip with his wife Esther (presently residing in an urn on the third shelf in his room). Sammy was careful about not exposing his plan to anyone, especially his son, Barry, who dutifully visited regularly and tried to make sure that he lived out his remaining days comfortably.

Through a carefully choreographed plan, Sammy managed to access personal information on three recently deceased residents from the nursing home’s computers. Then he applied for and obtained three new credit cards. Armed now with available cash and credit, he loaded up Esth…

Close Call

I was just putting the finishing touches on my new novel, Sammy, which will be available to order in November (shameless self promotion!) ... when I started thinking about some of the characters in my past life. One character I've actually written about in the past just popped into my head. It's a repeat story but I hope you enjoy it ... again.

When I was a Freshman at LSU, our dorm was set up like a suite with two adjoining double rooms and a common kitchen and living room. "Suite" really makes it sound much fancier than it was. Actually, living room makes it sound much fancier than it was. The walls were cinder block and the living room was about 100 square feet. I don't think four of us could even stand up in there at one time.

One of the four guys in our suite was the place kicker for the LSU Tigers. His name was Phil and he was from Bogalusa, Louisiana. He had the bed next to mine. Phil was about 6'8" and weighed well over 300 pounds. He was a big …

Princess Grace's Diary

We surprised our little princess, Grace on Friday with a last minute visit to Savannah. She and her BFF Stella had a joint princess birthday party.

It was of course no surprise to Deb and me that the trip had a few surprises for us, too.

It started out with a light show at the airport (we chose to fly rather than drive the 12 hours back and forth for one day). Lightning strikes were coming fast ... so the tarmac was closed until it settled down. We had to get to Atlanta in time to catch what had become the LAST flight of the night to Savannah at 11:20 PM.

We made it ... barely ... and fell asleep at 2 AM.

Up at 8 and out the door via Uber to The Landings (a mere 45 minute drive) and just in time to see this adorable duo.

Big brother Cole was  one of the "hosts".

Pony rides were there for the guests.

Matching Princess cakes (of course).

Lots of fun.

At about 2, Deb and I headed back to the airport with Nikki driving and made it in PLENTY of time to find out that there were n…